Monday, June 25, 2007

Mission Thoughts on Monday


To Do God’s Will

Concerning Percy Mather, pioneer missionary to Central Asia, it was written:

Mr. Mather viewed missionary life as one tremendous sacrifice which he had made once, and which with complete knowledge of all its demands, he was prepared to make again.

Speaking in Bombay on his return journey to Turkestan, he said: “I am not going back because I want to go. I am not even going back because of the need of the people. Travel and adventure have lost all fascination for men and my pleasure would be to stay in my own country. I am going back because I believe it to be the will of God for me, and ‘I delight to do Thy will, O my God.’”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_C._Mather

AND here is another

… the light calls things by their proper names…

A former missionary to the Congo told of this incident:

“As I rose from the table my right foot slipped on the earth floor, and I said the house lad must have dropped a banana skin. I put my hand lantern near the floor and a snake was scuttling away…

“What I had called a banana skin was really a snake, but this was only revealed by the light of the lantern. In telling this incident to others I might always have said I slipped on a banana skin had the light not revealed otherwise… the light calls things by their proper names…

“While my feet stood in the dark I called the thing I slipped on a banana skin, but the light showed that it was a snake, and which was I to believe? Persist in calling it a banana skin when the light showed it was a snake? How foolish!

“When God, by His Spirit or through His Book calls a thing sin, shall I call it a human frailty, a weakness, or that I was just made like that?”

“Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” Psalm 119:105

No comments: